Sunday, July 1, 2007

Day Twelve Sprouted, 54 Still In The Ground

Ahhh, Sundays. Sundays can truly be the best days of the week, if we would only allow them to be. Today started well, since I chose to sleep in, sort of. Shaggy was in his usual 4:45 am "I want out; wait - no I don't, but I will at 5:15" routine. After he finally did go out, I decided against walking this morning and went back to sleep. It was quite wonderful to wake up at 7:00, get a cup of coffee, go into my sun room, and watch the birds and squirrels eat their breakfasts.

We decided to skip church. There are some Sundays when it's heavenly to just sit and talk when it's quiet and peaceful. Today was such a day, and Steve and I sat in the sun room and enjoyed the morning. Later we joined Molly and Sam for brunch at Jackson's. Afterwards, Steve went to the YMCA pool, and I arranged the twenty bricks I bought yesterday. I returned to Home Depot again to get twenty more. While I was shopping, if started to rain, but stopped long enough for me to load the bricks, get home, and unload them on the sidewalk. Steve had returned from the pool, and we both took a siesta on the couch.

Once the rain had stopped, I went outside and finished placing the bricks, finishing the first part of the project. I think another twenty bricks and this project will be complete!! Now if I could find a use for the 63 old bricks I took up ...

After cleaning up and watching the Diana concert for a bit, Steve and I decided to go play nine holes. In terms of my game, let's just say the first and last holes were okay. The seven holes in between are not worth mentioning. Except to say at least I didn't lose any balls!! Maribeth text-messaged me while I was on the course, saying she will be spending July 4 in Rangely.

We finished the evening with dinner at one of our favorites, Steak N Shake. I ordered the points-acceptable grilled chicken sandwich, but the cook messed up the order and also brought a huge plate of cheese fries (no charge to us). Yes, I ate a bunch, but stopped from wolfing down the whole plate (actually Steve placed it on the other side of the table).

So how did today stack up? I ate reasonably, got some exercise (we walked instead of using a golf cart), and enjoyed time with my family. I made great headway on the sidewalk project. These are the days when I feel at peace because I feel good physically due to exercise and intelligent eating, I feel content emotionally because I know my family are all secure, I feel satisfied mentally because I have accomplished a task or two, and I feel blessed spiritually because I appreciate all that I have been given.

I believe the best Sundays are those in which we can stop our busy lives, rest and relax in a peaceful place, examine and experience our blessings in life, and offer prayers of thanksgiving to God who gives them to us. Today was such a Sunday, and it was good.

2 comments:

Sam Davidson said...

How about you find 8 more things to do after August 24. Chief among them should be: stopping eating at restaurants like Steak N Shake.

Luanne said...

Hmmm. Worth considering if you consider eating AT restaurants like Steak N Shake! Sometimes you get free cheese fries!!