Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Day Twenty-Eight Turns Off; 38 Still On

Today has pretty much gone by in a blur. I got a late start this morning. By the time I finished Curves, it was nearly noon, and too hot to walk. I think my legs were relieved, and relished the extra day off. That's okay, as tomorrow we will get back to business.

Today I ran errands, cleared out some junk boxes, and filed some papers. I did a little shopping for some yard projects. I had a very short "to do" list today, and got about half done.

Today just sort of slipped by - nothing exciting to report. So what was the significance of today?

Yesterday I talked about touching the lives of strangers. Today I had a chance to really understand what that means.

I had very little contact today with people I didn't know personally. As I was checking out at Target, the clerk was very nice. He scanned my stuff, I scanned my card, we exchanged pleasantries, and I was gone. A few hours later, I drove to Starbucks and ordered my usual. When I pulled up to the window, the guy at the window said, "Today's high five day," and we high fived. He then commented that my shirt matched my car and I agreed. I got my drink, and drove off.

Which guy made the impact on my life? The high-fiver. He put a little effort into our meeting, and it boosted my spirits. I see how just the little things can make a difference to someone. Just that little effort made a personal connection that brought a smile to my face.

I have eight goals that I believe will make my life better. But I also want to believe that I can maybe make another person's life better, even for just a moment. All it takes is stopping and really recognizing that person as someone deserving of my attention. Maybe that one moment will make the difference in making a stranger's day a good day.

No comments: