Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Day Twenty-Nine Weighs in; 37 Still Counting Calories

Today was a day full of promises fulfilled. It all started as usual. I had breakfast, then took a little extra time to catch up on my morning devotional reading. I decided to check my email, and I read the happy announcement that Puffy Emily is now a grandma to Micah! Good news is always a great way to start the morning!!

I suited up for the road, because I knew I HAD to resume walking/jogging this morning. I stepped out about 8, knowing it was later than usual and it was going to be hot and humid. Regardless of the obvious heat factor, I kept feeling that this was the day to run, and that today I was going to run the two miles. I just kept hearing God tell me, "Today is the day."

I started jogging, making deals all along the way, such as, "Well, if I go to the stop sign, that's a little over 1.7 miles ... Well, I've had two days off, so however far I get today will be okay ..." Every time I would think of a comment, I would hear God say, "Whatever. Keep talking. You're going to do the two miles today." And guess what - I DID!!! It was an awesome feeling, and I felt very thankful. Needless to say, I was extremely sweaty and hot, but I was still breathing and my heart was not going into attack, so I was okay. Molly came through with the ice water, so I survived. Second goal accomplished!! Now I just have to keep running those two miles!!

With such a momentous start to the morning, one would think I would just sit back and bask in the glow. But, I was very buoyed by the morning, so I kept going. I did my thing at Curves, ran a few errands, then returned home for lunch and clean up. I made reservations for a few days in the country so I could have some quiet time to focus on writing. I will leave on Sunday for a few nights at Fall Creek Falls, and am looking forward to some time to rest and create.

The rest of the afternoon was spent running errands and completing tasks on my list. Today ended in dinner with Sam, Lynnette, and Molly. What a fulfilling day!

I've thought about the differences from one day to the next. One day I don't seem to get much done, and the next I complete a goal. I often prefer to see a constant progression of steps leading to an accomplishment. I worry that my goals won't be fulfilled if I don't have a steady pace of forward movement.

But I realize that taking days to rest physically, mentally, and emotionally are important in completing my goals. The days that I don't think I am getting anywhere are just as important as the days I work hard, because those rest days give my body time to recharge.

Today helps me see that in my quest for these goals, there are going to be all different kinds of days. I just have to keep going, and accept each day as it comes. I have to keep my goals in front of me, then see how the day can be used to pursue those goals. Just as God told me today that it would be my two-mile day, He will tell me how every day can be used.

Today was a victorious day. I have now achieved two of the eight, and have six left. In the next 37 days, there will be days of victory and days of setback; there will be days of boundless energy and days of near-collapse; there will be days of unbridled enthusiasm and days of morose pessimism; and there will be days of sunlight and joy and days of clouds and melancholy. But each day will have its purpose and place in my life. Each day will move me along on the path to my goals. Each day will change me because I will appreciate and learn from each one. Ultimately I will blessed, because I will realize that each day, whatever it may have been, was truly a good day.

No comments: