Sunday, July 29, 2007

Day Forty Flies Off The Handle; 26 Still Attached

This morning, beginning at 6:15 am, Lynnette and I walked our 13 miles. Yes, we were scheduled for 15, but we decided not to kill ourselves, and instead do 13. We are quite pleased with ourselves, and feel that we are nearly prepared for our 3-Day. At least that's what we're telling ourselves!

After limping back to the house, we had lunch with Molly and Sam. Once everyone left, I decided to take a much-needed nap. This was a smart move, since it helped restore my energy for my 5:30 pm tee time with Steve. However, it did not improve my actual golf game.

I did have a few good shots. I did manage to hit over the ditch, albeit on the second ball. However, tragedy struck on the 8th hole.

I had finally managed to move the ball up the fairway, close to the checkered metal distance-marker pole thing. According to my calculations, I was in no danger of hitting said marker stick with the ball. Therefore, I did not pull the marker out of the ground. The good news is that I did not hit the marker with the ball. The bad news is that I did hit it with my club, basically decapitating my 5-iron. It was a sad moment. Below is a picture of the result.


WARNING: THIS PICTURE IS VERY GRAPHIC AND
MAY BE DISTURBING IF YOU ACTUALLY ARE A GOLFER!!




Amazingly, I also have a huge dent in my driver, on the top of the head where one would never hit a ball, so we're confused as to the origin of the dent. One might think my destruction of clubs would indicate a lack of respect for the equipment or total ineptness with the game. I choose to think I just don't have the correct clubs. My current plan is to continue to play with my current set of clubs, and methodically, yet innocently, destroy each one with my unique style of play until I have no clubs left. At that point I will have to get new clubs, which must certainly mean my game will improve. Or not. At any rate, today's round marks Round #8!!

Tonight I am a bit tired and my feet are a little achy. I am hoping for a good night's sleep (read this, Shaggy the Cat!) so I can get busy tomorrow. This next week will be hectic, as I have many things to do before we leave for New York on Friday, for the half-marathon next Sunday.

Time is starting to speed up, so I will have to speed up also. This stage of the sixty-six days is getting a little exciting, a little tiring, a little stressful, and a little overwhelming. I am looking forward to this project coming to a conclusion, and want to make sure I do everything I can to have a great finish.

I just hope I can get in these last two rounds of golf before I run out of clubs!

No comments: