Monday, July 16, 2007

Day Twenty-Seven Takes the Field; 39 In the Dugout

Mondays. What can you say about them? Depending on your weekend, Mondays can be a recovery day, a penance day, or a fresh new day to start the week. For me, it was a "I walked 29 blinking miles this weekend" day. In other words, my emotions pretty much are indicative of my expression in my picture to the side.

I had a huge list of things to do, and I got most of them done. I even had time for lunch with Sam and Steve. Maybe that's where I started to falter. I ordered an appetizer for the table, and partook of said appetizer. I also ate the cheese biscuits. I even sampled Steve's fried popcorn shrimp. Why? Because I rationalized that I had walked 29 blinking miles this weekend. Therein lies my downfall - rationalization. Clearly this is something I am going to have honestly confront.

After lunch, I ran more errands. Dinner was a hamburger, chips, and those Nutter Butter cookies from the weekend. Again, I rationalized that I COULD eat them, and so I did.

What have I learned? I have to seriously write down what I am eating. I need to look at what I am eating and when, so I can figure out why. While keeping a food diary does not appeal to me, I know it is what I must do, if I am to seriously tackle my food issue.

As far as the rest of today went, I mostly did errands. But it does make me feel content to see all the things that I did accomplish today. Those are the things I must focus on, and not let the slip-ups ruin what was a productive day. This is why I keep my daily list, and write down every thing I do - so I can focus on what was achieved. I not only see the completed task, but I also think about the details of a particular task, and who that task affected. In this way, I can stay positive, think about those whose lives I touched, and put the day in perspective.

Today there was a lot of grunt work done. Today was a busy day after a tiring weekend. It wasn't all fabulous, but it was real.

Sometimes the real days seem the hardest, but for me, it's the real days that help me realize there's more to this life than just me. There are people whose lives I touched today - at Red Lobster, at the recycle bins, at the furniture stores, at the cleaners, at the car wash, and at Starbucks. Did my brush with their lives make a difference? I hope so, because sometimes the best days are when you share a good day with a stranger.

No comments: