Sunday, July 8, 2007

Day Nineteen Checked Off, 47 Still To Do

Today started WAY too early. I woke up at 3:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. I decided to watch tv, and watched The Devil Wears Prada. The rest of the morning consisted of coffee, church, and brunch with the family at The Copper Kettle. I skipped breakfast in order to eat my fill for brunch - not the wisest of ideas. Yes, it was delicious; it just wasn't a wise choice for my waistline. Once again, I am reminded that I have to be in control of what I eat, and not rationalize poor choices. After lunch, Steve went to the pool, and I finally got the nap I needed. It's been a pretty quiet day.

Yesterday I was reading the current issue of Runner's World. I was skimming through some of the articles, and happened upon the last sentence in an article I had skipped. It said:

"He would have 66 days to make up the lost
ground."
Of course, I couldn't let that last sentence pass by, not with those number of days staring me in the face. I went back and read the article. It was about a race called The Bunion Derby held in 1928. Runners were vying for $25,000, and would run from Los Angeles to New York City. The sentence was about Andy Payne, who was in 11th place when the runners had reached Arizona. When asked about his strategy for the rest of the race, Payne said it would be to "just keep stepping from day to day."


It's little things like this article that continue to convince me that God is in this project with me. I can imagine Him on the sidelines, like those spectators for a marathon, cheering me on.

In this article, not only did Andy Payne have 66 days to change his life, but he had a strategy that which I would like to emulate. It's not necessary to be in the lead every day by expecting to have great successes every day. I just need to "keep stepping from day to day." Today I didn't make great steps forward, but I am continuing on my course. I will take each day as it comes, and keep working on my goals.

The article ended with the sentence above, except for an epilogue at the end. In the epilogue, it tells that Andy Payne did go on to win the race. I believe it's God's way of assuring me that I will finish, and I will succeed. All I need do is keep stepping.

No comments: