Monday, July 9, 2007

Day Twenty Opened; 46 Still in the Cans

What a day. Lots to do, lots done, lots to think about.

I started with my usual 8-mile route. The good news is that I ran part of the first mile and all of the second. The bad news is that I forgot my water bottle and my snack money back at home. This meant that I was going to have to walk all of the remaining six miles, since I had no way of hydrating.

About two miles from home, I got a call from Sam. He wanted to let me know that Rosie, one of their cats, had passed away. Rosie had been sick for awhile, and had gotten worse over the weekend. I was very sad to hear that she had died, and very sad thinking about how much Lynnette will miss her.

After I got home and re-hydrated, I went to Curves, mailed two care packages to Maribeth, made stops by Home Depot and Staples, went to Molly's to replace a foundation vent, and returned home to replace the fill valve on my toilet (that's the ball thingy in the tank for you novices). I made phone calls, hotel reservations, and dinner plans. I filled the feeders, washed out the bird bath, and emptied the dishwasher.

I wrote down every morsel that I put in my mouth up until I went to dinner with Sam and Lynnette. When I came home, I forgot about it. On purpose.

What was today like? There were good parts and sad parts. There were lazy parts and busy parts. I accomplished eight of twelve things on my to-do list. I had other things I planned to do, but got distracted and didn't get them done.

On the surface, there seemed to be nothing spectacular about today. I almost let today pass by in this light. But thankfully, I thought again.

Today was a day to remember a little cat that brought love and joy into the lives of Sam and Lynnette. Today was a day to spend time with Sam and Lynnette and have some interesting conversation (even though I did spill my Starbucks on my shirt). Today was a day to look out and enjoy the huge rainstorm we had (because I love rainstorms). Today was a day to tackle a home repair project that I had never done before, and be successful (at least so far!). Today was a day to ask a favor from my family, and see it answered in such a sweet way.

I almost let today go by without realizing all the blessings it contained. Sometimes I allow the most seemingly routine day pass by as just routine; but by doing so, I miss the precious moments it has. I'm grateful that I didn't let today pass by. I would have missed so much.

By stopping and thinking about today, I realized how blessed I was. Today was indeed a good day.

No comments: