Friday, July 20, 2007

Day Thirty-One Sails Away; 35 Waiting on the Dock

It's always amazing how God teaches me a lesson one day, then gives me a reason to use it the next. Yesterday I wrote about how I put just enough effort into things to get the results I want, all the while knowing that more effort would produce greater results. Today I realize why I needed to think about that.

Today I got on that evil piece of equipment known as the dreaded bathroom scales. Ugh. I haven't lost any pounds, which disheartened me. But I realize that if I really want to lose these 19 pounds, I have to get really serious about what I eat. I fool myself into thinking that a little cleaning up of my eating habits will produce fabulous results. The fact is that cleaning up is not enough. I have been talking this talk for weeks - now it is time to be determined, and do what I know I can do.

I have five weeks left. Can I lose 16 pounds in five weeks? I have done it before, on a healthy Weight Watchers plan. I believe I can do it again. I am going to have to be sincere on this issue and stand firm. I have to follow the plan as I should, and not rationalize myself into believing I can deviate from it. By doing so, I will see a positive change next Friday.

Today I see a goal that is not going to be achieved by making a half-hearted effort. If I am serious and really want to realize this goal, I am going to have to work hard at it. At the end of this sixty-six days, I know I will see successes. But the real success will be the effort I have put into achieving each goal, because that effort will determine for me the importance of each goal.

Tonight I have decided that each goal is truly significant to me. Tonight I am determined to do my best and try my hardest.

Tomorrow will come soon enough. Tomorrow these words which seem so bold will pale when faced with real life again. But I know I have the strength within me to fight to reach my goals, because it's not just the goals I'm fighting for - I'm fighting for me.

No comments: