Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Day Fourteen Dealt; 52 in the Deck

We'll start today with a few pictures:


First task completed - The front sidewalk is done!!


Shaggy, the cat alarm clock, faces his nemesis, the door - "Shall I go out or stay in?"


Shaggy - fearless hunter or avid bird watcher?


Meanwhile, two birdies discuss that idiotic cat in the house.

Hope you enjoy the pictures. The birds are what I view from my favorite room in the house, the sun room. In the mornings, it is absolute bliss to sit out there and listen to the birds wake up and call each other to breakfast. Sometimes I get a special treat and watch as they totally immerse themselves in the birdbath. It is a blessing to watch and enjoy this world that God has created.

Of course, the best picture is the one from the front of the house. Yes, it is true - I have completed my first goal, the sidewalk project. Even though I had the offer of help today, I finished before the helper arrived (so I called Sam and told him to bring lunch instead). It took 80+ bricks, several afternoons, numerous Home Depot trips, a small garden spade, digging and pulling up old bricks, but this goal has been completed. Yay!! Now, just seven more to go.

There has been a let down today. As I was returning from my Starbucks mission this evening, I decided to measure what I thought was my 4-mile route. Apparently, the streets have been shortened, as my car measured only 3.7. This is a sad turn of events, as I have misled myself into false mileage. I shall have to verify this dilemma tomorrow. Stay tuned.

The good news on the jog front is that today I had a running partner. Steve decided to join me. Shaggy began with his usual 4:40 wake up call, but as usual could not muster the courage to venture out. I decided to go ahead and eat breakfast. Steve got up, we got ready, and were out the door at 5:30. The plan was to run to the 1.5 mile spot, where he would return home, and I would keep going on my what-was-yesterday 8 mile route. We ran the first mile, walked a bit, then ran the rest of the way to the turn around spot. I have decided that running at 5:30 is a good deal, if I can get my rear in gear. The sun is still sleeping, so the heat is bearable. We'll see if this will be a pattern.

I spent the rest of today finishing the walk and doing odds and ends. After two days of jogging/walking and toting/placing bricks, I ended the day with a long soak in the tub. Heavenly!

I received two contrasting emails today. The first was from Emily NC (not the Emily of the Puffy Muffin). Emily is a friend from over twenty years ago when our sons were preschoolers and we lived in Florida. We both moved away, and have kept in touch sparingly (mostly on my part) over the years. I reconnected with Emily NC when I emailed to get a donation for my 3-Day walk, not knowing that she was a breast cancer survivor. She has become one of my strongest supporters, getting donations from a ton of people. Even with everything she is going through, she took the time to write an encouraging email.

On the other hand, I also received an email from a former work colleague. This person was not a friend, and in fact was a unkind person. This email was all about herself, and was using email as a way to worm her way back into our lives.

What did I learn from this? A few years ago, I may have overlooked the friend, and continued to let the unfriend be cruel. Today, I immediately thanked Emily, and told the unfriend to not contact me again. Sometimes it is essential to show how much we value that which is truly important, and to cut loose that which is truly harmful. I hope that one of the changes I have made is to see the difference and begin to do both.

Today was about completing a goal, appreciating the blessings in life, and noticing and discarding the harmful things in my life. Once again, in helping me understand the difference between blessings and harmful things, God has helped me see how food can be harmful to me. I have got to get that alternative activity chart completed.

Today I appreciate a husband who slows his running pace so we can run together, a son who is willing to help me on a project, a friend who can pick up after 20+ years as if it were yesterday, birds who delight me with their beauty and antics, and my life, which has more blessings than I could even imagine. I thank God, who has blessed me with it all.

No comments: