Saturday, July 7, 2007

Day Eighteen Has Voted; 48 Still Undecided

Today Lynnette and I walked 15 miles in preparation for our 3-Day. We started at 5:30 am. God knew we needed a break, so He kept the sun hidden in the clouds until we were finished. We found a new friend at Mile 10, when Nemo the dog joined us. He walked 3 miles with us, then decided we weren't that much fun, and returned to his home.


In another 3-Day activity, I have finished my "sash" for the event. This is a Miss America thing that says "Fifty and Fabulous" on the front. On the back and front I have pink ribbons with names of the people in whose honor I am walking. All it took was some iron-on stuff (thanks Molly!) and needle and thread. One would think I will look quite the diva, but these 3-Day walkers are serious about their outfits!

After our trek, I refueled, took a nap, let the I-Squeeze massage my aching feet, and soaked in the tub. It's been a fairly quiet day. Maribeth called from a mountain somewhere in Maine. It's hard to believe 23 years ago I was about to go into labor with her!!

Today went by quickly. The walk and completing the sash took huge chunks out of the day. I didn't really make any significant strides towards completing the seven. Am I disappointed or discouraged? No, and here's why:

Today I focused on this 60-mile walk I am doing in August. I completed two tasks that I needed to get done - the sash and a long walk. I feel good because I know I am preparing myself so that this experience will be all that I hope it to be.

I didn't make any progress towards the seven remaining goals. But today wasn't about the seven. Today was about the 3-Day. I needed today to focus on this event. Tomorrow I will probably get back to the seven.

It's good to have a day to focus on one thing. But it's important for me not to make any one thing the one and only thing every single day. If I listen to God, He will direct me as to what I can do best on any given day. If I listen, I will feel satisfied in what I do on that day, and not be concerned with what I don't do. I will feel content and not waste a day bemoaning those things that were put on the shelf.

It's good to have a variety of days. There are days when I make great strides in my goals, days I get a lot of tasks completed, days I examine my life as a whole, days I focus on just one thing, and days I just vegetate.

One of my changes I see is my ability to recognize that all days are good and worthwhile. I just have to recognize and appreciate the value of the day for what it is, whether it is a busy day or a lazy day.

I have one of my favorite poems hanging in my bathroom. I think it sums up how I feel about the days I am given. I'll close with it:

This is the beginning of a new day.
God has given me this day to use as I will.
I can waste it---or use it for good,
but what I do today is important,
because I am exchanging a day of my life for it!
When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever,
leaving in its place, something that I have traded for it.
I want it to be gain, and not loss;
good, and not evil; success, and not failure,
in order that I shall not regret the price I have paid for it.
~Anonymous~

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

What a GREAT sash! I love it! Do you have the Lewes Family on there?

Luanne said...

The Lewes apparently prefer their anonymity.