Saturday, July 14, 2007

Day Twenty-Five Skates Away; 41 Lacing Up

I must confess. I have sinned. Last night after posting on this blog, I had an orgy with a carton of ice cream and a bottle of chocolate sauce. It was ugly. I felt horrible, both physically and mentally. My physical discomfort continued with every mile of my training walk this morning. I hope I have learned something from this.

Why did I do this deed? What was I thinking? Clearly, thinking was not a part of the equation. I refused to think, to consider, to control. My brain went on hiatus, and my mouth went on an ice-cream vacation. I hope it enjoyed the fun - I don't plan for it to happen again!

Still in a haze from last night's binge, I woke at 4:50 am this morning so I could get dressed for today's brutal 17-mile training walk with Lynnette. Of course, being the sadist she is, Lynnette showed up on time, and off we went. Today's walk was not pretty. It was long, and it was hot. We stopped for a snack to keep us going. The sun could not have hidden in the clouds, as there were no clouds today. Since it couldn't hide, the sun decided to shine down with all its power on us. At various points along the route, I think we questioned our quest, our sanity, and our reason for existence. The good news is that we completed all 17 miles. The bad news is that tomorrow we are supposed to do 13!!

After the walk of torture, I consumed a Weight Watchers frozen dinner, and luxuriated in a few I-Squeeze sessions. Sam called and wanted to play golf. I guess I thought I had not had enough physical exercise today, I joined him. We played a horrendous (or humorous, depending on your perspective) front nine. Sam's friends, Zach and Pat, joined us for the back nine. My game improved a bit, and we found a dozen golf balls. So, we considered the round a success.

Having finished my sixth round of golf, I came home, showered, washed some clothes, and went to the grocery store in preparation for tomorrow's lunch. I stopped by Starbucks for a pick-me-up, since I was to pick up Molly and Steve at 9:30. Having done that, I am now posting with toothpicks propping open my eyelids so I can finish and pass out. Tomorrow at 5:00 am is going to come all too quickly.

Today was a day to enjoy the company of friends and family. Lynnette and I sweated and encouraged each other in order to finish today's training objective. I am thankful that she is training with me and pushes me to meet our targets.

Sam and I enjoyed an interesting 7 holes of golf, and then with Zach and Pat enjoyed a fun and rewarding nine holes of golf. I am thankful that Sam appreciates the unpredictability of any given golf shot, and doesn't let it affect the fun of the game. I am thankful for all my playing partners today, and their patience with my game and restraint from confiscating my clubs.

Today was about physical activity, which hopefully will result in changes in my weight and clothing size. Today I made another step towards completing my golf goal.

But the most important part of today was appreciating the blessings of having young people in my life who encourage and support me, and whose company I enjoy. My life is happier for being around them. Any day with them will always be a good day.

No comments: