Thursday, August 23, 2007

Days Sixty-Five and Sixty-Six Post Together; 0 Days All Alone

Well, it's here. The last day(s) of this endeavor. It's not what I thought it would be - it's different and, I think, better.

I'll start with the goals:

1. Sidewalk project - completed. It took a little extra time and I am happy with the result. It gave me another dose of confidence and drive to do big physical home projects. Sometimes I am prone to want to do things, but continue to put them off. Now when I find myself saying "I should" then I can look out my front door for inspiration and say "I will now."

2. Play 10 rounds of golf - completed. It came down to the wire, but I did it. Playing this many times bolstered my confidence in my game, and my conviction that I enjoy playing. By continuing to play in spite of my beginning skills, I improved a smidgen. I also am even more committed to trying to improve through practice and playing. It helped me become a more determined beginner.

3. Run 2 miles without stopping. I did it. I can actually jog, which was totally a revelation for me. It caused me to accept my athletic possibilities, and realize that I can push myself. It helped me realize that I don't have to settle for only what I think I can do - I can do what I couldn't have imagined doing, if I just keep working at it.

4. Complete a 30-story book. Technically I have finished it. Currently the book is in very rough form, and not complete, as I decided to have 40 stories in it instead of 30. I have wanted to do this for several years - this project caused me to truly commit to the book. I relish the comfort and satisfaction I have from writing. I also accept that the idea of doing something with my finished work is daunting. Guess we'll have to see where this leads me. I am a writer - now I just have to imagine I will have a reader!

5. Find new avenues instead of eating. I believe I'm on the road on this one. I created a chart that listed alternative activities, but I prefer to ignore the chart (even though it's in the center of my refrigerator). But I am aware of my tendencies, and have become aware of my thoughts when I reach for something to stuff in my mouth. Was this goal achieved? That's hard to say, because this was more of an abstract goal, and difficult to find an objective determination. I will say that this goal will be ongoing forever - but it did change my life as I look at how I eat with different perspectives than I did before.

6. Wear size ##. Yes and No. Depends on the label and manufacturer. Some things fit better, some things are still snug. Some things I slip on in my desired size, others in a size larger make me look like a stuffed pig. I know I will be more satisfied when I can wear smaller clothes. The change I see is the realization that I've got to work toward it if I really want to achieve it. This goal wasn't as imperative as the others, so it sat on the side. Am I disappointed? Not so much - it will happen.

7. Lose 19 pounds. Did not happen. Lost a few pounds, but not nearly what I wanted to. Am I disappointed? Again, not so much. It will happen when I really choose to focus on it. It just didn't happen now. But it will.

8. Run a half-marathon in 2:30. It didn't happen for all the right reasons. I learned my limitations as well as my possibilities. I know I am capable and what I need to do.

So, what's my final evaluation of this project? I'm proud of what I did. It didn't turn out as I expected. I thought by achieving these eight goals, the actual culmination of the goal would be the change in me. Instead, I realize the changes came about because of the work towards the goals. The actual goals were like the medals I receive at the end of a race - just a tangible reminder of what I've accomplished. I'm changed for having experienced these sixty-six days, and I received far more than I could have ever hoped.

So, what's next? The next time I post, I will be 50 years old. Wow. These sixty-six days will be history, but I will continue to be making and writing my new history. Starting on Monday, you can find me at http://luanneatfifty.blogspot.com/.

Thanks for reading - best wishes for your life, whatever it holds for you. I hope your path to your goals was as meaningful as mine.

2 comments:

jeff said...

Luane-

The old adage "it's not when you cross the finish line, it's how you run the race," seems to ring true. Whether you "accomplished" your goals or not is not what is important. You set out to make a change in your life, and it really seems that you have done that. You are more intentional about your actions, and you stepped into territory that is outside of your comfort zone. Congratulations on your 66 days. I have enjoyed reading your blog. Best wishes.

sevnetus said...

Your work here was quite a lot; it sounds like a recipe to be happy and healthy.