Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Day Fifty-Seven Tosses Its Cookies; Nine Sipping on Ginger Ale

Ah... Best laid plans, and all that. Today started out on a good note. Although I slept in a bit, I got up, dropped off some old towels to the Humane Society, worked out at Curves, and recycled my paper and plastic. I had time to clean myself up and stop by to feed Missy The Grandcat before picking up Steve at the airport. All was going well, until Molly and Scout showed up.

The three of us made a decision to have lunch at our favorite Mexican food restaurant. This is when the day went awry. I have eaten at this particular establishment many times. I have also become deathly gastronomically ill on the same days. Coincidence? I thought perhaps, except there were times when I partook of said food and did not become ill. However, today was not to be one of those days.

After eating and a brief shopping spree at the Dollar Store, I returned home, took a sinus pill (thanks to 103 degree heat), and decided to take a nap. I woke later, feeling like a huge mountain had been placed on my body. This was a much-preferred feeling to the feeling that was about to happen. The next feeling was that of my stomach and all its attached organs deciding to protest my chosen lunch. It became quite a violent protest. I tried all my usual remedies. I ran cold water on my hands and on a washcloth to put on my head and neck. I lay on my bed. I lay on the floor. I prayed - a lot. I changed clothes to the loosest ones I could find. I turned on the shower, got in, then started running a bath. I got out of the bath, dressed, and went to the couch in the den. Finally, I just put my finger down my throat - I figured it really couldn't be any worse. BINGO!!! Without any graphic details, let's just say in thirty minutes, the protest was cancelled, as there was nothing left to protest about.

Needless to say, this took all of my afternoon. Once I was no longer writhing in agony, the most activity I could muster was to get my tonic of choice, ginger ale, and some crackers and lay on the couch to munch and sip. As of now, I am recovered. I have eaten waffles, a banana, and a bowl of Cheerios with no ill effects. I believe I have learned my lesson, and must say adios to former-favorite Mexican place!!

Was this a good day? Yes - I survived. But this is certainly not the way I envisioned spending the last ten days of this project.

No comments: