Friday, August 3, 2007

Day Forty-Five Makes It To New York; 21 Waiting in Nashville

I've made it to NYC. We left this morning at 7:45. The flight was uneventful (praise God), except that we flew first-class on American (thanks to some points thing of Steve's). It was nice - I got a muffin on a tray with real glass dishes. As we were flying in, our view of the city was great - you can't beat seeing Manhattan from the sky. I love New York!

After two cab rides (the first driver basically told us to get out and walk the remaining blocks to the hotel), we stowed out bags, took the subway uptown to the race expo, then did a little shopping. Unfortunately on the way back, I stepped in a hole in the sidewalk, moderately twisting my ankle. It's no threat to Sunday's race - I just have to watch it tomorrow and take it easy.

As of now, I'm tired from the probable four miles we walked today in midtown in the heat. I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep without Shaggy's interference.

I am in New York City this weekend for an attempt on one of my eight goals I hope to accomplish in sixty-six days. These sixty-six days are about making changes in my life, and wondering if those changes will have an impact on those around me. This morning in his blog, Sam wrote about the young (and slightly older) people he knows who are making a difference in this world. Clearly I am not doing the things that the people Sam writes about are doing. But his blog has caused me to think.

Sam writes:

Such a realization makes me want to work harder than ever for the next four years, to make sure that when I hit the three-decade mark, I've got something to show for it.

But, I realize that I already do. And so do many others. In fact, such a sense of meaning is something that drives young people today to do something - anything - to make their life one worth living. And while lots of commercials, TV shows, and news reports will try to convince you that twenty-somethings are finding this meaning in wild parties and random hookups, I've got news for you: they're finding meaning in making an impact.

I can't help but notice that in three weeks, I will hit the five-decade mark. Will I have something to show for it? That answer will only come from me - I have to decide what I want my life to represent. Am I satisfied with the small things that I do to make a difference, or should I be compelled to attempt greater things, dream more magnificent dreams, and and find ways to make a signifcant impact that will affect a lot of people?

The fact is that I don't know whose life I may impacted - for the better or the worse. As a teacher, I know I did both. But I do know my life seems to be about doing the small things - seemingly one person at a time. For me, that is my mark. While I am in awe of the young people in his post, I know their missions are not mine. We all have our callings - if we would just truly find and follow them.

He also writes:
And what I see each time I meet these revolutionaries is a commitment, a passion, and a dream. Regardless of their age, these folks show that anything is possible.

I ask myself if I have a passion and a dream - do I believe anything is possible? Could I ever be considered a revolutionary? I believe I have dreams, and am learning to go about them with a passion. But a revolutionary? Maybe so, because the thing in which I am making the greatest change these days is within myself.

Sam ends with:

But I've seen the revolution. And while we quickly think it looks like big checks and Bono, it looks like a young, concerned and caring face.
Have I seen revolution? Does it look like 50? Yes, on both accounts. I am seeing change based on the goals I have reached, and those that seem to be within my grasp. I am seeing revolution as my thoughts are broadened and my confidence is strengthened. I am seeing changes within my spirit and my soul, which will forever change who I am. Maybe for me, that will be the greatest revolution I will experience, because this revolution will forever impact my future and all the unknowns that exist there.

Sam is part of a generation that is bound and determined to change this world for the better. So am I - you just may never know about it. But that's okay, because for me and Sam and all those he writes about, in the end it's not who knows, but whose life was changed for the better that counts.

1 comment:

Sam Davidson said...

This is a great post with a very good perspective. Indeed, our impact cannot simply be measured by our job title.