Friday, August 10, 2007

Day Fifty-Two Gets The Wrong Order; 14 Still Looking At The Menu

Today started out as an "Oh crap" day. What do I mean? Let me explain:

Oh Crap #1: Fairly soon after I get out of bed, I decided to weigh, and saw that I had GAINED half a pound. Not the best way to start the day. (However, later at noon I weighed again and found that I lost the half-pound. Go figure.)

Oh Crap #2: On my way to take my car in to be serviced, I stopped at the drive-through at Starbucks for a mocha LIGHT and a fat-free muffin. When I pull up to pay, I get my muffin, and a frap that is obviously NOT light, evidenced by the mountain of whipped cream oozing out of the lid. When I mention this to the barrista, she confirms that it is indeed NOT a light, and did I want a light one instead? Since it was rush hour, and there were about a million cars behind me, I decided to take that which I was served and move on. I looked at the bill, and the order person did put in a regular frap. So, here is my dilemma for today: should I have inconvenienced everyone in line and asked for what I ordered, or should I have done as I did and take what was put in the computer? This has happened to me twice at this particular Starbucks. Both times I took the non-light one. I think this is a test, and I'm not sure I'm passing.

Oh Crap #3: After catching a ride with the dealer's courtesy van, I arrived at home. I pulled up the race pictures from Sunday, and saw that I looked like a heifer, a cow, a huge lumbering massive bulk of a person. In other words, I think I looked HUGE (fat, chubby, ginormous)! This was extremely depressing, coming after the morning weigh-in and Starbucks issues.

A few months ago, after three such Oh-Crap moments in such a short period of time and so early in the day, I would have just written off the whole day and gone after a Big Mac. What did I do today? The only thing I could - I just had to laugh. It occurred to me that these were just things that started off my day. I could let them influence the rest of my day and have a bad day, or not. So I laughed and moved on.

Earlier on the ride home from the dealership, I had already decided that today was going to be an "in service day." When I taught, these were the days when the students stayed home, and teachers spent planning, grading, and completing the piles of paperwork so vital in education. Today was going to be that day for me. I didn't walk or Curve; instead I cleaned up my house a bit. It looks better and I feel better. I still have a mountain of paperwork to catch up on, but at least my workplace has a better atmosphere.

Today was a day I could have thrown away before it had barely gotten started. Instead I decided to acknowledge the sour parts but not let them ruin today. In the end, I was very happy with the way the day turned out. Today was a oh-crap day turned good.

No comments: