Sunday, August 5, 2007

Day Forty-Seven Does It In 2:57:51; 19 Training To Go Faster

Okay, so I didn't meet this goal. I gave it my all; but it just wasn't enough today. Am I disappointed? Yes, I wish I could have run faster, longer. But today it just wasn't to be.

How does this leave my in terms of the Sixty-Six Days? This was the first goal that I have not met. It doesn't mean that I failed - I still have a goal of running a half marathon in 2 hours and 30 minutes. It just wasn't this one. (And it won't be the next one - Disneyland - in 4 weeks, the week after I walk 60 miles in 3 days.) But I will do it. I learned today that I need to train harder and differently. So while I didn't make the goal, I am satisfied that I did my best.

Do I feel like God was with me? Definitely, and always. The two previous days were hot and humid. Today was cool and breezy - God provided idyllic weather.

I had prayed about this race and my twisted ankle. The twisted ankle gave me no problems, and I managed to run through the cramp in my side and the hammering pain in my other heel. God was with me every step - but this was a goal he was going to help me on - not do it for me. God helped me continue to run (jog, walk, limp, crawl - whatever) even when I didn't think I had anything left (Miles 9-13). God was with me at every point - but I believe He wanted me to experience this on my own physical terms so I could learn from it.

I believe He knew I needed to learn something more from this other than just the completion of a goal. I needed to learn that every goal I set cannot be set just because I set it. I believe I needed to miss meeting a goal so I could deal with the feelings that come with a disappointment (would everyone who knows about this be disappointed in me - am I a failure - should I even try to run - am I too old - you get the picture). I needed to learn that this is a goal that is going to take a lot more work than I thought.

So, what becomes of this goal? It becomes "In Progress." It will be completed - I'm just not sure when or where. I know how I need to train, and what I need to do.

Today was a hard day. I am sore and tired, and my heel feels like someone is hammering on it. But I enjoyed spending the day with Steve, and I hobbled to parts of New York City that we normally don't frequent (Seaport Village, Battery Park). I am satisfied with my efforts, realizing that in this case, they weren't quite enough. And even though the day didn't turn out as I had hoped, it still was a good day.

No comments: