Saturday, June 23, 2007

Day Three On Stage; 63 Waiting In The Wings

Today was another good day. Since Lynnette and I have a training walk tomorrow, I didn't want to do the usual eight miles. So, today I worked on running two miles without stopping. I ran the first mile, then soldiered on for a bit more. Technically, I can now claim that I can run more than one mile, and I have less than one mile to run to meet my goal! I am fabulous!

After the jog/walk, I went to Curves where I walked in on the "power half hour." This is when a demented yet toned leader directs you to higher heart rates through a series of physical moves on the recovery stations. It was an intense morning, but worthwhile since I went to lunch with Sam and Lynnette at Green Hills Grille, ordering my latest favorite, California Chop Chop Salad. I don't know the points, but I'm counting on it being okay, what with my extensive cardio workout from the morning. I did get into a vicious catfight later with myself over some chocolate in my kitchen at home, but I am scared of myself, so no chocolate was eaten.

After lunch, Sam and I had pedicures. I had taken him to get his first haircut when he was two; I think it only natural to get his first pedicure at 26! At least he didn't cry like he did with the haircut, although it was pretty funny to watch. Men are such wimps!!

During the afternoon, I made poppy seed bread to send to Maribeth, sent a birthday card to my niece Rachel, and completed other various routine tasks. Molly came over with friends, and gave me a special Mother's Day pin from our recent cruise.

Later in the afternoon, I assessed my work on my books, Flu and Toast. Currently, there are 5 stories completed for Flu, and 8 stories completed for Toast, with 7 stories in progress between the two. I worked on and completed another Flu story.

So, according to my calculations, in three days, I have touched on all goals except golf and the sidewalk. I'm thinking that maybe Sam will be a willing partner in golf, since the pedicure did not seem to thrill him.

I've been looking at my goals, and imagining the reactions for anyone who might read them. I wonder if the goals might seem trite and mundane. I question if people would think I should have loftier goals, like striving toward eliminating AIDS and hunger in Africa, or homelessness in America. I thought about these things, and have come to this conclusion:

For me at this time, these are goals that propel me into my future. Some might see a sidewalk project as one afternoon's work. But this is a project that has been on the burner for months, unable to be completed. How many projects do we have like that? Projects that are doable, but just sit there, inactive. This, then, is where I start. The sidewalk is a tangible goal, but perhaps the intangible goal is to pursue and complete those inert projects that inhabit our lives.

So these goals are just that - my goals for the next sixty-six days. In working towards realizing these goals, I'm moving towards becoming that person I was created to be - to complete that which was begun in me almost fifty years ago. I'm starting with these eight goals, then I'll see where I go from there.

Today was a good day. Today I am thankful for:

Sam, who is willing to experience sides of life that may be outside his box.

Molly, who made the effort to get me a surprise that she knew I would really like.

Maribeth, who wanted my poppy seed bread - it makes me happy that there is still something that she wants only from me.

The girls who work at Curves and create exercises that help me work off my extra butt.

God, who takes care of the small things. When my bread was cooking, I got the impression to go check on it. The timer said it had 12 minutes left to cook, but when I opened the oven, it was obviously brown, and passed the toothpick exam. Had I waited for the timer to buzz, Maribeth would have burned poppy seed bread.

Today was a good day. I know all days may not be good ones - or can they? Maybe a change is to see the good in all days, and not throw away any day as bad. Today was a good day.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I looked for Sam's blog, read it and then clicked on yours. What a countdown! Hope I can be a cheerleader/encourager. You go girl!