Friday, June 29, 2007

Day Ten Checking Out, 56 Still Shopping

What a difference in days. Yesterday almost slipped by unnoticed, and today was filled to the brim with forward motion. I can't help but get excited wondering what tomorrow will bring. It's the variety of these days that motivates me to look forward to the next day.

Today started early. Since this morning was overcast, and the humidity was tolerable, I decided it would be a good morning to work on running the two miles. Of course, the first tenth of a mile, my thighs are waking up and screaming, "What the crap is this?" I ignored them and kept jogging. Today was a victory - one and a half miles!! It's wonderful to believe a goal is in sight.

After sopping the sweat from my face, I put on a dry shirt and shorts and headed for Curves. I got there just in time for POWER HOUR!! Lucky me. Power hour consists of the tiny Curves leader directing us in cardio maneuvers on the recovery stations, which become cardiac stations for some of us. But, I persevered, and hopefully sweated off another ounce or two.

Since I was already grimy, I decided this would be the perfect opportunity for a trip to Home Depot to get - yes, you guessed it - the stones for the sidewalk project!! I only bought 20, which covered about one third of the space I'm trying to cover. I didn't get much further than placing the stones on their intended place on the sidewalk (there will be digging involved for placement), but I started the sidewalk project!! It took ten days, but now all goals have been started.

By this time it was time for lunch, then time to clean myself up before I met with Rebekah. During our talk, she gave me a great idea for the food issue. The idea is to think of all the wrong reasons/situations that I choose food, and list alternative activities. I will keep this in the kitchen to prompt me when I get the eating impulse.

After Rebekah, I picked up Molly for a Target trip. While in the store, we got a call from Maribeth. It was a treat having both daughters theoretically together at the same time.

After dropping Molly off, I joined Steve at the golf course for nine holes. The big news there that I FINALLY hit my tee shot over the ditch on the fourth hole. Yes, technically it was my second ball off the tee, and yes, it did go into the trees, but it went over that blasted ditch, a desire since the first time I played Legends.

So, if you're keeping score, I worked on seven out of eight goals today. Quite a boost from yesterday's efforts.

Today was a productive day, with progress made on many goals. But it was also a day to think about what my life is really like. I am never sure of what kind of day it will be. I may plan to do a lot, but very little gets accomplished. Or I may plan to do nothing, and things keep happening right and left. Or everything I plan to do gets done. That's the great thing about life - it's not always predictable. I'm blessed because there's enough variety in my days to make me appreciate each day as it comes. Tomorrow things will be different, but today is, as was yesterday, and as will all the days to come, a day to celebrate.

Today I celebrate because:

I enjoyed playing golf, playing golf with Steve, and hitting the ball over the ditch.

I shopped with Molly, got a call from Maribeth, and had a gabfest in the middle of Target.

I ran one and a half miles.

I talked to Rebekah, who helps me see things so clearly and had such a great idea.

I started my last untouched goal.

Days like today fill me with enthusiasm to pursue my goals. Days like yesterday give me a chance to take a break from my goals. Both kinds of days are needed to accomplish my goals.

It's good to have these eight goals, and to appreciate how diverse days contribute to the realization of these goals. But the greatest reward of these ten days has been the opportunity to celebrate each day for that day alone. Today has been a great day.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Found your blog from a link on Cool People Care. Though I haven't read all your entries yet, I truly admire your motivation and end goals. I'm more on a 4 year plan myself, but am sure to be inspired by what you're about to accomplish in 66 days. I look forward to following your successes!

Luanne said...

Kat-
Thanks so much for your comments and encouragement. Cyberspace has made my world larger and smaller at the same time. Smaller for bringing people into my existence from all over and larger because those very people expand my knowledge, my thoughts and my horizons. Your blog is a great example that I have now met and am enjoying!