Monday, June 25, 2007

Day Six At Bat, 60 On Deck

Today started late - I guess to make up from the weekend. I slept in a little later, and had many things to do, as we were expecting dinner guests. However, instead of getting going, I procrastinated, and didn't begin my walk until 8. I did walk 8 miles, but the late start meant warmer walking weather, and a much later morning. By the time I had returned home, I was hot and weary, so I procrastinated some more, ate a mediocre lunch (although point-wise reasonable), took a nap, procrastinated even more, then planned the remainder of my day.

Time was getting short, since by now it was 1:00 pm, and I still needed to clean myself and the house up, go to the grocery store, and prepare dinner. I cleaned up, went to the grocery store, prepared potato salad, and baked a cake. A quick glance at the clock told me it was 4:00, and we were planning to eat around 6:00. Fifteen minutes later, Steve called to say the dinner guests had to cancel. This wasn't devastating news, as nothing other than the cake and potato salad had been prepared. I managed to put off eating, feeling the frustration coming from anticipation and preparation with no payoff.

Sam and Lynnette came over for dinner and we cooked out. I ate my portion, along with our absent guests' portions of the potato salad. Clearly there needs to be more development of the "eating for the wrong reasons" goal!

After dinner, we watched a little TV, and are planning to head off to bed for an early night. I hoping that a good night's sleep will result in a much more productive day tomorrow.

What gifts did today give me?

Real life. Every day cannot be full of intended accomplishments. However, it can be full of surprise accomplishments. I expected guests, and made a cake. The guests cancelled, leaving me with a delicious chocolate cake screaming, "EAT ME NOW." I could have eaten the whole thing in frustration, but instead, Steve is going to take it to his office tomorrow with the intention of bribing some donations to our 3-Day walk.

Realistic goals. For 5 days, I have been sailing along, thinking that every day I would be getting closer and closer to my goals. While that in many ways is true, today showed me that there will be days to keep me grounded to, and focused on, my goals - hence the potato salad incident.

Recognizable Reality. If I am going to achieve my goals, I have to see my life as it really is. I can't just see the parts that are pleasing; I have to see where I might slip up and need to focus more intently. I have to really see my life if I want to change it. I can't and I won't ignore the parts that make me uncomfortable.

Today was a reality check. Am I serious about these goals? Am I going to pursue these goals? Am I going to keep working even when I slip? Am I willing to examine my life in its totality? The answers are all yes - today gave me the chance to affirm my mission.

Every day has a gift, if we look close enough. If we find that day's gift, it's a good day. Today, I found mine - did you?

No comments: